Monday, January 04, 2010

No-knead bread

Although the first loaf of the year isn't finished, I am going to start on a batch of no-knead bread. You know, the famous New York Times no-knead bread that everyone was making two? three? years ago. I made it once then, and was underwhelmed. I've done some reading on it over the past couple of days, and figured out (not that it was that hard) the difference between the New York Times recipe and the competing no-knead people. (They have a book, but I can't remember its name, or their name. But I'm pretty sure it is two of them.) They use a lot more yeast, so the bread takes less time. But I can't imagine all that yeast does anything good for the flavor.

An article on Culinate recommends doing a kind of in-bowl semi-knead, so I'll try that, too. I've been reading sample pages online of Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day, and will buy it as soon as I recover from holiday sticker shock.

So, to bread and then to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home