Friday, November 09, 2007

Making Nan with a Three Year Old

I trashed my kitchen this afternoon making silk road nan with my three year old. I was inspired by this essay at Culinate, and when I read the recipe for playdoh bread, I immediately thought of this nan. It has several steps that are fun for kids: rolling the balls of dough flat, dimpling with the fingertips, painting with butter (my son's favorite part), and sprinking salt and cumin seeds on top. Flour got everywhere -- all over the floor and table, and my son -- and the butter painting extended a bit beyond what I would have liked. I managed to check my neat-freak-out impulse, and just went with it. After, I set him up with a swiffer, and he pretended to be a street sweeper.

Recipe adapted from Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid's Home Baking. I cut the original in half, correctly judging that my son's attention span couldn't handle more than six breads.

1 teaspoon active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
3 1/2 to 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoons melted butter

for topping:
2 tablespoons melted butter
salt and cumin seeds
(could also add chives or garlic here)

In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine yeast and warm water. Stir in one cup of flour to form a batter. Add the salt and melted butter. Stir in two more cups of flour. Then, using the dough hook, put the mixer on 2, and add flour until it forms a kneadable ball of dough. Knead eight minutes, scraping dough as necessary. Remove dough hook, cover bowl, and let rise for at least two hours.

Put pizza stone in oven, and preheat to 500 degrees F. Turn out dough onto a floured counter or board, and divide into six pieces. Form pieces into balls, and flatten. (If child can be persuaded, let dough rest 10 minutes at this point.) Using a rolling pin, roll to roughly 8 inches diameter. Transfer to pizza peel very lightly dusted with flour. Dimple all over with fingertips, brush with melted butter, and sprinkle with salt and cumin. Slide onto pizza stone, keeping child far far away from the oven, and bake 7-8 minutes, or until golden. Cool on a rack, then wrap in a light cotton towel.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home